Tuesday 30 June 2009

The writing on the wall



I once was part owner of a cafe in Copenhagen and we had quite a lot of fun writing instructions for the costumers directly on the wall. (Our policy was to make them feel at home by making them do most of the work them selves). We mixed a lot of Gin & Tonics while writing and added silly things like ”this is a hole in the wall” and then drew an arrow pointing to a hole in the wall.
Why am I telling this?
I came across sort of the same thing in the über cool Mama Shelter hotel in Paris. This time Philip Starck has been playing with the paintbrush. I am not accusing him of plagiarism but merely suggesting that the best ideas will live forever.
I went to the 20th arrondissement to explore the hotel for an article for the Danish interior magazine Rum (www.rumid.dk). By the way the article is in the August issue.
I love it. Great place to hang out for lunch and drinks. The decor is so full of crazy details, humour – and it is still cosy and stylish. There is just one slight problem. All though the area is up-and -coming there isn’t really any Paris atmosphere around the hotel.
The price is good and the modern backpack shelter is definitely worth checking out, but I think I would still prefer Hotel Amour, which is both cool and close to “real” Paris.
www.mamashelter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment